J. Addison Barry, Jr.
J Barry grew up in Lebanon and has lived in a variety of places from coast to coast. J Barry decided several years back to focus his law practice on the growing needs of helping elders and persons with disabilities to plan for their financial, healthcare and legal needs. While helping his in-laws manage their changing needs, J became acutely aware of how confusing and stressful it can be to care for aging family members and decided to solely practice elder law.
J is the owner and founder of Elder Law of Middle Tennessee and his legal practice areas include life care planning, estate planning including Trusts, Medicaid and Veterans benefits planning, and probate. Prior to the development of Elder Law of Middle Tennessee J worked in trademark and intellectual property law as well as mediation. Through these experiences, he was able to use his specific attention to detail to draw upon when analyzing his client’s needs.
J’s background is quite varied and includes not only being an attorney but also a commercial airline pilot with American Airlines for over 24 years, entrepreneur, U. S. Air Force instructor pilot, aerospace engineer, and Air Force Reserve Lt. Colonel with the Defense Intelligence Agency.
- Castle Heights Military Academy, Lebanon, TN
- B.A. Aerospace Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Master in Business Administration, Trinity University, San Antonio, TX
- Juris Doctor, Pepperdine School of Law, Malibu, CA
- U.S. Air Force: Active Duty-Pilot, Instructor Pilot & Air Training Command Staff Officer
- U.S. Air Force Reserves: Aerospace Engineer, Detachment Commander, Defense Intelligence Agency: Retired Lt. Colonel
- Life Care Planning Law Firm Association
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Lebanon Chamber of Commerce
- Tennessee Christian Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Trustees, Lipscomb University, Nashville, TN
- Has been an Elder in his church in Virginia, California and currently in Lebanon, TN
Awards and Certifications:
- Certified in Dispute Resolution from Pepperdine School of Law
- Rule 31 Listed Family and General Civil Mediator
- Certificate of Graduation, Brown Trail School of Preaching, Hurst, TX
What I love the most about my work?
Frequently when we work with a client they will say how relieved they are to have made some decisions and have their documents completed. It gives the client’s hope of making it through all of the life changes they know they may face.
When I’m not at work, you will find me enjoying…
My first choice would be sailing, especially in the British Virgin Islands or Tahiti. Since sailing isn’t an everyday option then I enjoy exercising by swimming, walking, running or biking.
Something you might not know about me is….
I once lived on a 40 foot sailboat with my wife for four years in Marina Del Ray, California. We were about two docks down from Johnny Carson and his big power yacht.